MFZ Featured Miatas Miatas which have been voted on to become Feature MFZ Miatas.
Featured Miata 'SixShooter'

Dem768 - Miataforumz.com March '12 Feature

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Default Dem768 - Miataforumz.com March '12 Feature

Detroit Miata keeps american muscle on it's toes

So you could say I started my automotive at a young age. Dad was always a big car guy - The built El Camino, Formula 350 Firebird WS6, Corvettes and so on.

Bryan's Civic outside a Shop

I was focused on the IT industry until I was side tracked by a local performance shop that opened up. They needed someone knowledgeable, I didn't need to quit my job to help but I did anyways.. I found myself getting pretty good with electrical fabrication, welding, painting and so on. I spent more coin on snap-on tools than I had brought home in 9 months but I was addicted. I became a bit of a perfectionist when it came to my hands on work and I was properly recognized for it by my peers.

Civic at a photoshoot

So time came to create something of my own and like many, I found myself in the Honda scene. However I was never fond of the crowd that usually drove these cars, I just found them to be great vehicles and was fond of the manufacturer. Extremely efficient, lightweight and the aftermarket support was limitless. My sights were set on the EG hatch so I ended up buying 3-4 of them before I found one that was not rotted out, then proceeded to build it from the ground up. 12.5 compression pistons in a GSR motor, 9000k Redline and E85 was the idea here, with suspension and looks to support it. After the build was complete, I quickly sold it for fear that it would be stolen. I'd been followed home, followed to work and crept on around town- the car was not worth the stress so I put it up for sale.

The supercharged NA

I moved on to DSM's and a few more in between and then landed in a 91 Mazda Miata, supercharged her and got bored by the limitations... Being such a raw car I knew that my next one would be of the NB generation - AC, Power steering, Power windows and an interior that represented something a little more modern.

The new Ride, after some work

I had moved on from the performance shop by this time and was in Berlin Germany on a business trip when I found the car I wanted. Paid for it using PayPal and bought my brother a flight to go pick it up for me. I came home and quickly got to work. Once turbo'd, the bottom end didn't stand a chance against my need for boost.. She popped and then the serious stuff started to hit my road map.

This is what happens when you put too much power on stock rods.

I did my homework and started to build the new setup, forged this, H beam that... Standalone here, hardtop there.. The build thread was a good way for me to keep track of my work and motivate me to keep going. The plan was to take all winter but I ended up slapping it together in only a few weeks. Community support was great and is still appreciated. I tried to assemble a build thread for not only myself, but others who might go through the same situations as I had been faced with. Informative eye candy was the idea with the thread.

Rebuild pictures of the new Block

The goal from here out is probably going to result in a GT30R and somewhere around 400 WHP. I'll hit the track this summer when I've got the time but I have the feeling that I'll want more power. Road racing and auto-x were my interests but to be honest- the most fun I have is on the street messing with the guys who at first glance, chuckle at the idea of racing a Miata..

As it sits now...beware!

Take notes everyone, this is what a beast looks like under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails Dem768 - Miataforumz.com March '12 Feature-dem678_banner.jpg  

Last edited by Track; 03-09-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Congrats on the feature, bro.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:50 AM
BAMFr

Congrats Bryan! Very well deserved.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 AM
MFz Regular

Man great build. I can only hope to build a car like that some day...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Red To Go

Originally Posted by Mazduh
Man great build. I can only hope to build a car like that some day...
ditto, congrats
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 AM
zoomzoom

Definitely worthy of the feature. Congratszzzzzzzzzzzzzszszszszzszs
Old 03-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Featured Miata!

Thanks guys
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Red To Go

i heard dirtyturbo blew his up trying to keep up with you.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
MFz Regular

Very nice build! Congrats on being featured!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Featured Miata!

Originally Posted by RedTurboMiata
i heard dirtyturbo blew his up trying to keep up with you.
Haha. Where did you hear this? We were getting onto the freeway and I rolled into it pretty good. He was behind me and then the smoke started.. Poor guy. Sounds like he had been waiting for that thing to pop though.

Quick Reply: Dem768 - Miataforumz.com March '12 Feature